Saturday, April 14, 2007

I have become INSTITUTIONALISED

I hate sounding philosophical. So, before I plunge into the depths of introspection going in this five pound mass resting between my shoulders, lemme provide you a brief intro of what this shit is all about…

Not very long ago, when I started working with TCS, the crown jewel of India’s largest conglomerate-TATAs, I had everything a young and restless heart can ask for -A coveted brand name to walk with my head high in this status obsessed society, 15K in my pocket at the end of every month (coming straight from college, this was big money for me), a youthful, friendly FINANCE team that personified ‘FUN at work’, a mini-villa five minutes away from beach that I share with 7 other wonderful roommates, five hard days of work followed by two fun days to freak out… this list can literally go on for pages…

But, as with every so called software engineer, a mysterious discontent donned my heart – Onsite!!! I had very little chance of realizing that dream every other IT guy has... So, I searched for other options and then the idea of doing MS instantly caught my fancy… My acads have always been good and pretty freaky to hear. And with some conscious effort, I managed a decent score in GRE too. Deciding to try my luck, I applied for MS in good universities…

And now starts the real story ;-)

After a long wait, I started to hear back from those uniivs – those responses were candid, curt and painful REJECTS. After plethora of rejects, an admit came as respite for this worn out soul. This one was from a good university too.

With the feeling of accomplishment starting to sink in, I realized that its time I make the decision. Plenty of questions popped up in my mind… Is this idea of doing MS just a fancy I caught up with? Or is it simply a path I drafted to explore greener pastures? If so, is it really worth quitting my job? And more importantly, can I start my career all over again?

Am I frightened to take that step that would change my career and life forever? Am I simply ‘scared of change’? After some introspection and retrospection on the decisions I previously made in my life, I can confidently state - I am not the kind of guy to run away from change. I was probably a guy who always “embraced change”.

So, what’s stopping me this time? Here are my two excuses for now:

I started liking my job, especially because of the wonderful people I work with. True it is that my work is demanding and I work long hours, but you know what – FINANCE ROCKS!!! I formed a beautiful bond with my team (I’d rather call it a family) and I am probably too unwilling to detach myself from this family.

And more importantly, for the past 18 months, I have got very much used to what I call ‘easy money’ that magically refreshes my bank account at the end of every month. I have to confess that I am probably spoilt by the easy money my software job offers me and pampered by comforts money could offer. If I start all over again as a student, there would be no more easy money to shell out - Very funny and startling!!! And I might have to do some not very interesting jobs to earn my tuition fee. Well, this thought makes me feel jittery!!!!

These reasons, rather excuses, might appear quite ridiculous to you. But, the fact is that I have become ‘institutionalized’. I am now a pampered and spoilt soul. I feel too comfortable in this cocoon I am in… too comfortable to get out of it.

Well, going by pure logic, I should take this step. I should use this chance of a life time and MOVE ON. My mind says that I should go for it, but heart says that it’s nervous!!! Why am I so nervous? What the hell happened to my valor!!!

Its time! Its time to break free from the shackles of comfort I locked myself in. It’s gonna take some time, but I sure will not give in. After all, I am not destined to be a loser!!!

2 comments:

M@verick said...

Sometimes in life every one faces dilemma’s which one yearns to face. Like u would have faced after college.. to continue feeling senti about the college days that have gone by or embrace and rejoice the environs that the work place will offer!

Spoilt for choice is a great state of mind and its also a pointer towards ur winner quotient(read opp of loser quotient) . the choices u make may not be perfect but just the fact that u had a chance to make those choices makes u a winner all the way and gives u a feel of leading urself by your own hands into the future pf praise and promise.



Anyways go ahead with wht ur heart says .but the . bottom line is make ur mind agree with your heart says !

Sujat said...

We get bound by the strands of complacency atleast once in every phase of our lives. And we break those strands each time to enter a new world. I am sure this new world brings with it new wonders, new new challenges and sweeter successes.

The lovely people you talk about will always love you. They are yours if you carry them into your new world. You hold yourself back right now, not because you are a loser, but because you want to cling on to something lovely that you already have.
But you take that one step forward and things will change..they sure will but nobody knows if it will be for the better or for the worse. But atleast you wouldnt have to live with the thought - "What if I broke the shackles and took one step 'Beyond the Obvious'!!"
I say take the step and find out whats there in store for you. Just find out! Chuck the word Institutionalized and go for 'Revolutionized' (I dont know if thats a word at all... but what the hell. Just use it!)